Chief Operating Officer

Start date: As soon as possible
Status: Full-time employee, salaried
Salary: Negotiable, starting at $70k
Work Location: Berkeley, CA
Reports to: Executive Director
Application: at the bottom of this page

Note: BERI may decide not to fill this role if our needs change in the course of recruitment, or if no suitable candidate is found. We assign a 50% chance of filling this role by hiring a new staff member, a 20% chance of filling it with an existing staff member, and a 30% chance of not filling it at all.

BERI is seeking a highly educated and qualified Chief Operating Officer to help us pursue our vision of support for the existential risk ecosystem.

Purpose

The purpose of the COO position is to the ensure the efficient operation of processes common to all of BERI’s programs, while maintaining a high degree of inspectability to BERI’s funders, Board of Directors, auditors, accountants, legal counsel, and other interested parties. Maintaining inspectability enables transparency within and between organizations, and is essential to BERI’s mission of service to humanity. At present, our services involve:

  • Grantmaking to organizations and individuals
  • Supporting university research centers in the U.S. and U.K.
  • Organizational capacity-building

Many projects are in need of doing for humanity’s future, and to support as many valuable projects as we responsibly can, we need efficient procedures for getting things done while maintaining accountability.

Qualifications

Due to the intellectual nature of the work BERI aims to support, we are seeking a strong intellectual background to complement operations experience. Thus, we expect our most promising candidates will fit one of the following qualification categories:

Either:

  • Excellent ops background and strong intellectual background: Previous experience as COO or similar at an organization with over $100M in assets or more than 50 employees reporting to them, and a strong intellectual background in thinking about science and technology, e.g. a MSc in CS and familiarity with x-risk-relevant literature;

Or:

  • Excellent intellectual background and strong ops background: A PhD in a STEM discipline, JD, or MD, along with business management experience and coding experience in a business context.

Outstanding applicants with an MBA, MPA, MFE, or PhD in other disciplines will also be considered.

Responsibilities

As our COO, you’d need to build systems that simultaneously support all of our activities. Areas of responsibility and leadership will include:

  • finance and accounting,
  • human resource management (“HR”)
  • information security management,
  • office management,
  • internal communication management,
  • general systemization and optimization of workflows.

These responsibilities may be shared with another BERI staff member. However, as a young organization our team structure varies with time, and so the particular allocations of roles and responsibilities will be determined after your arrival on the job.

The ideal candidate

BERI strives to become the type of organization that gets things right on the first try. To that end, we’re looking for someone who will:

  • Maintain a wide variety of readily available reports of BERI’s ongoing activities and finances for communication with the BERI’s Board of Directors, funders, financial auditors, legal counsel, and other stakeholders.

  • Create efficient systems and procedures to maintain these reports while freeing up the time and attention of staff, to build capacity for more mission-driven responsibilities.

  • Build efficient checks into their systems to help ensure mistakes are prevented at best, and are caught at worst.

  • Diligently examine the ethical, legal, and financial implications of their activities to notice when more research or discussion is needed before taking action.

The ideal candidate would also be familiar with the AI x-risk “ecosystem.”

(Click here to apply)