Qualifications: Professional management experience, and a demonstrated track record of serious interest in existential risk reduction.
Start date: As soon as possible
Status: Full-time employee, salaried
Start date: As soon as a promising candidate is identified
Compensation: TBD based on experience. $50,000 minimum.
Typical hours: 40 per week, primarily during standard business hours.
Work Location: Berkeley/Oakland
Reports to: Executive Director
Application: at the bottom of this page
BERI is seeking a Projector Manager to work 40 hours per week, primarily during standard business hours (9am - 5pm Pacific Time), to support our partner-facing projects. We want someone with high initiative and a tendency to get things done, who will feel dissatisfied and take action when they see x-risk mitigation projects getting stalled in ways that they can personally un-block.
Typical responsibilities will include the following:
- Research into how BERI can find new ways to support its partners. This often involves phone communication with our lawyers, banks, and partners.
- Solving coordination problems between people and organizations by drafting and reviewing proposals, agreements, etc. for new projects.
- Timely communication with partners to discover and meet their needs.
- Picking up the annoying parts of projects that other people and organizations might be stuck on.
BERI aims to provide support to our partners working to mitigate x-risk within a short timeframe, so we want someone who will take initiative, move projects forward every day, and provide quick turnarounds on tasks. To read more about why we are hiring for this role, see this blog post.
We seek candidates who are able to:
- Complete a wide variety of tasks quickly (competent generalists).
- Prioritize and reprioritize between many projects.
- Stay organized despite high volumes of information.
- Communicate clearly.
- Answer the telephone during most business hours.
- Be detail-oriented and conscientious even in a fast-paced work environment.
The ideal candidate would be familiar with the AI x-risk “ecosystem” and have relationships with the institutions we would like to support. Additionally, we are especially interested in candidates who would like to grow to take on more responsibilities at BERI in the future (e.g., autonomous work on larger projects, managing other team members, etc.).