Start date: As soon as possible
Time commitment: 10-15 hours/week
Compensation: $25 per hour
Work Location: Berkeley, CA
Reports to: Sawyer Bernath (but you will mainly communicate with Martin Fukui and Caroline Jeanmaire)
Application: at the bottom of this page
BERI is seeking a part-time operations assistant as part of our collaboration with the Center for Human-Compatible Artificial Intelligence (CHAI).
Given the low and variable number of weekly hours, we expect current students (at UC Berkeley or otherwise) to be good candidates for this role. However, this is not a requirement and we encourage interested candidates to apply regardless of their student status.
The purpose of this position is to ensure smooth functioning of the CHAI organization by assisting Martin, Caroline, and the rest of the team with a variety of tasks, described below under Responsibilities. Some of this work can be done remotely, but some work must be done on campus, primarily at Berkeley Way West.
- Effective, professional communicator in spoken and written English
- Flexible generalist, comfortable switching between very different tasks
- Comfortable with spreadsheet filters and basic functions
- Organized and responsible; comfortable fulfilling recurring tasks in a prompt manner
- Able to stay motivated while working with remote teams
- Comfortable receiving and incorporating feedback
- Typically available for food pickup during the following hours:
- Wednesdays 9:30am to 10:30am
- Fridays 11:30am to 12:30pm
If you feel you do not meet these qualifications but are still interested in applying, please err on the side of applying anyway.
- Write up and publicize CHAI news items
- Collate and disseminate information via email, Slack message, phone call, and video chat
- Collaboratively write and edit documents relating to CHAI procedures
- Update information with WordPress (adding new students, publications, news, etc.)
- Make basic structural edits on GitHub
- Use Google Sheets to organize and manage information on team members and external contacts
- Create simple graphics
- Order and pick up food, office supplies, etc. for the CHAI team
As a part-time role, this position will not be eligible for the majority of BERI benefits. Some other benefits include:
- Working alongside the UC Berkeley AI safety community
- Invitations to CHAI’s weekly beneficial AI seminars
- Weekly lunches with the CHAI team
- Sick time (1 hour per 30 hours worked)