We are no longer hiring for this position.
Start date: As soon as a promising candidate is identified
Term: 2 month trial, with possibility for renewal
Status: Contractor, part-time hourly
Compensation: $25 / hour
Typical hours: Average of 10-20 per week, with high weekly variation
Work Location: Berkeley, California
Reports to: Project Manager - CHAI Collaboration
Application: at the bottom of this page
BERI is seeking an Office Assistant to work an average of 10-20 hours per week to support our collaboration with the Center for Human-Compatible AI (CHAI).
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an emerging academic field that aims to positively influence the trajectory of AI development for the benefit of humanity. By contributing operational support, you provide valuable underpinning for CHAI’s research output.
This is for an initial 2 month term. After the 2 month term, if pleased with the quality of work, BERI will consider this position for expansion and renewal.
Typical responsibilities will include the following:
- Coordinating logistics and communications for ongoing speaker events with University, speakers, CHAI staff
- At least two weekly in-person meetings with CHAI staff
- Gathering and submitting CHAI researcher and staff purchases for reimbursement through online system
- Working with University HR department on job postings and logistics
- Managing online accounts creation, access permissions, and online billing for CHAI
- Investigating University rules and regulations and sharing with CHAI staff
- Assisting with the preparation of reports and presentations
- Various other tasks and responsibilities that arise in CHAI operations
We seek candidates who:
- Can stay organized despite high volumes of information.
- Are detail-oriented, conscientious, and can adhere to a wide-array of regulations and procedures that must be followed.
- Complete a wide variety of tasks quickly (competent generalists).
- Communicate clearly.
- Do not mind doing repetitive administrative tasks when necessary.
The ideal candidate (optional qualifications):
- Will have availability and interest in a potential expanded role at the conclusion of the initial 2-month period.
- Is familiar with event logistics and/or working within a University system.
- Is courteous and friendly in their interactions and can build good relationships to enable collaboration.
- Has an optimization mindset; i.e. can spot areas that need improving and take steps to make them better.
- Has problem-solving skills; i.e. can think creatively and use initiative to solve problems.
- Manages tasks and to-do lists effectively so that things do not get accidentally dropped.
- Has a demonstrated interest in the work of CHAI and BERI (e.g. is familiar with AI safety and/or Effective Altruism).