Start date: As soon as possible
Status: BERI Employee, working approximately 20 hrs/week
Compensation: Salary, based on experience
Work Location: Remote (US time zone preferred)
Reports to: Sawyer Bernath (but you will mainly communicate with Prof. Russell)
Application: at the bottom of this page
BERI is seeking an experienced and dedicated executive assistant to help Professor Stuart Russell manage a variety of tasks related to his roles as a professor and public figure.
The purpose of this position is to provide comprehensive professional assistance to Prof. Russell so that he can focus on his primary responsibilities (e.g. research, interviews, and outreach) and maximize his time and effectiveness. You will need to learn Prof. Russell’s preferences across a variety of areas, so as to accurately execute the ways in which he wants to interface with the professional world. You will interact with a wide variety of people and organizations, from Berkeley students to government officials to corporate leaders. This is a high-impact opportunity for a dedicated and detail-oriented professional.
- 3+ years of experience in a directly relevant role
- Experience as a personal/executive assistant is ideal, but we recognize that other roles often share many of the same responsibilities.
- Excellent spoken and written English. Comfortable communicating with a wide range of people, able to quickly summarize and process information into formats that are easier to digest than the original.
- Efficient email management.
- Proven ability to learn fast by example and observation, and to work with minimal supervision.
- Flexible generalist, comfortable switching between very different tasks.
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented.
- Discretion and sound judgment regarding confidential information.
If you feel you do not meet these qualifications but are still interested in applying, please err on the side of applying anyway.
- Inbox management: Responding to administrative requests and invitations, summarizing/highlighting important emails.
- Calendar management: scheduling and moving meetings according to email requests and Prof. Russell’s requests.
- Meetings preparation: when Prof. Russell is giving an interview or meeting with someone, research the particular outlet and their audience, and give him a short brief.
- Booking travel and hotels (post COVID, of course).
- Taking notes at meetings, for Prof. Russell’s review later.
- Organizing files on Google Drive and elsewhere.
- Various other tasks as they arise.
The ideal candidate
- 5+ years of experience as an executive assistant for a leader in business or academia.
- Experience working in academia (i.e. a university setting).
- Motivated by career impact and the common good.
- Willingness to stay in the role for several years.
- Familiarity with or interest in the field of artificial intelligence, especially concerns around ethics and existential risk.